No, I am not moving back home while he is deployed. Although I am sure both our families would prefer I did. I did consider it. We talked about that possibility a lot and he was supportive of me doing either. Ultimately, I came to the decision that me staying at our new duty station would be best. These were my reasons.
- We have a lease that we can’t break for several months so if I did move home, we would still be paying for the apartment.
- Even if we did somehow get out of our lease, I would have to find movers, a storage unit, get everything moved, find somewhere to store the cars. Then when he gets back, we would have to find an apartment, move and unpack all over again. Not about that.
- Our new duty station is our home now, not where our families are. It is extremely uncomfortable being in a new everything. However, I do not want him coming back to yet another new apartment and packed boxes. I want to stay so I can continue to get settled in and established. When he does come back, I want him to come back to a home, our home. Our cozy, decorated, homey home.
- I need and really want a job 😅. Yes if I move back home, I could go back and work with him family for awhile. But when he gets back, I’ll be in the exact position I am now, jobless, searching and frustrated. So instead, I would rather a short term sacrifice, for a long term gain. Getting a great job takes time. The clock has already started for me so why restart a process I don’t have to.
- As much as I love home, I think I would go crazy. My parents and home are wonderful but ever since owning a home of my own and living with my husband, being home with them just isn’t the same. I have my own routines, systems and every now and then, I need some space!
- I want to make him proud! I know he will be proud of me either way but part of embracing this life is thriving in the easy and tough times. This is definitely one of the tougher but I really want to grab the bull by the horns, learn our new city, discover awesome restaurants and neat little secrets and such to show him. I want to make the city mine so when he gets back we can make it ours.
- I need to do this for myself. I can’t run home every time he deploys, I just can’t. As hard and tempting as it was, I did not when he left for BCT and AIT and I do not plan on starting now.
I know a lot of people move home during deployments for great reason but I truly believe me staying where we are is whats best for us. It will be tough but praying it is the right decision for us.